Terjola is first mentioned in the 17th-century sources. It acquired the status of a town in 1983. Terjola is situated in the Imereti Lowland in western Georgia, on the right bank of the Chkhara river. It lies on the Tbilisi-Zestaponi highway, 190 km northwest of Tbilisi and 14 km northwest of Zestaponi. It is located 170cm above the sea level. Its population is 5,700. There is Kutaisi on the west, Zestafoni municipality on the south-east, Tkibuli municipality on the north, Chiatura municipality on the north-east and Bagdadi municipality on the south. There is the relief in Terjola Municipality which is the south-north part of Okriba and Argveta ridge. The East part is occupied by Imereti hills and on the north part there is river Kvirila. Main rivers of the municipality are Buja, Madzarula, Dzusa, Cholaburi, Kvirila, Cjkhara Kveruna, Bosela, Nakhshirgele, Chishura, Sabanela, Dzevrula and Tskaltsitela.
There are 46 settled units in terjola: 1 city and 45 villages.Terjola Municipality consists of 19 administrative-territorial units: 1 town - Terjola; 12 village unions - Akhalubani, Alisubani, Akhaliterjola, Bardubani, Godogani, Etseri, Tuzi, Kvakhchiri, Nakhshirghele, Rupoti, Zeda Sazano, Siktarva, Chkhari and 5 separate villages - Gogni, Zeda Simoneti, Kveda Simoneti, Ghvankiti, Chognari.
There is a railway on the territory of Terjola municipality which crosses Samtredia-Khashuri area. There is a railway station in the village of Kvakhchiri.Terjola-Tkibuli and Kutaisi-Vartsikhe are the roads of state importance that pass through the city. Tourism is very important in Terjola municipality. The most important tourist attractions are the resort “Simoneti”, Navenakhevi Cave, Skande fortress, Beristsikhe Castle, Dedagvtisa in Gvankiti, the remains of the middle age towns in Chikhori and Chkhari and the architectural complex in Dzevri. Also the cave in Sagvardjilo, St. George’s church in Gogni, the museums of David and Sergo kldiashvili, the museums of Shalva and Petre Amiranashvili and the Queen Tamar’s arch bridge in the village of Godogani.There are many historical sights in the villages of Terjola Municipality.
There are numbers of Historical monuments on the territory of Terjola municipality: Dedagvtisa (XII century) in Gvankiti, the church of Sakvirao (XVI century) in Chikhori, St.Georg’s church (1532-1534 years) in Chkhari. There are also a series of historical and cultural landmarks in the environs of Terjola such as the Skande fortress (IV-XVIII centuries) in the village of Sazano, the ruins of the Gogni fort and church, and the Chkhalti church complex with its numerous antiquities now displayed in the museums of Georgia, Monastery of Konstantine kakhi (2006-2008 years) in village Kveda Simoneti, the new church of Chekhnari in the village Dzevri, St.George’s church (XI-XII) in Gogni, St.George’s Church (XXI century) in Gogni, Machitauri fortress (XVIII century) in Alisubani, Queeen Tamar’s bridge in Godogani.
There are two museums that can be visited nowadays: The museum of David and Sergo Kldiashvili and also the museum of Shalva and Petre Amiranashvili.
Web page: Terjola.ge