Kutaisi Opera House
The creation of Kutaisi Meliton Balanchivadze Opera Theatre was preceded by a remarkable fact. In June, 1959 the musical company of Vaso Abashidze Culture Palace staged \"Daisi\" by Zakaria Paliashvili. In November 1960, Kutaisians presented the performance in Tbilisi. With the valiant effort of the director of Tbilisi Z. Paliashvili Opera and Ballet Theatre Dimitry Mchedlidze, the government of the country adopted a resolution. On october3, 1968 the Ministry of Culture of Georgia made a decision about the creation of Kutaisi Branch of Tbilisi Opera and Ballet Theatre.
Since 1990, it was formed as an independent Opera Theatre and was named after the great Georgian composer Meliton Balanchivadze.
Kutaisi Meliton Balanchivadze Opera and Ballet Theatre is a small analogy of Vienna Opera House. The roof of the building is decorated with the Local Sculptor's George Kikvidze's 13 Roman sculptures that completely changed the facade and inner interior. The audience is meant for 453 people. Dressing and administrative rooms were rehabilitated; modern heating and ventilation systems were installed.
GEL 4 800 000 was spent on rehabilitation of Kutaisi Opera and the Music Hall.